Stop 8. Colthurst School

In 1898 Sir George Colthurst, then owner of Blarney Castle, donated the site for the new village school. Built to accommodate 450 boys and girls from the village, it is now a co-ed primary school ‘Scoil Chroí Íosa’. Come to our next stop and find out how the castle owners kept warm in church.

Stop 6. Handball Alley

Next to Stopford’s House the sloping structure of an original handball alley can still be seen. Irish handball has been played since at least the 16th century and was particularly popular in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Now come along and learn about the linen weavers who lived up the street.

Stop 4. The Square

The Square – Calling a Spade a Spade! Although Blarney Castle dates back to the 15th Century, it wasn’t until 1765 that Blarney Village took its place on the map. An industrial village, it was built specifically for the linen industry which was its sole reason for being. The village green has stood sentry as…

Stop 1. Blarney Castle

The current castle was built in 1446 by Cormac Laidir MacCarthy, the ninth Lord of Muskerry. Blarney was the most important of the MacCarthy castles and became the main dwelling place of future MacCarthy chiefs. It was captured during Elizabethan and Cromwellian times, confiscated and sold in 1688 to Sir James St. John Jefferyes from…